Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Big Texas

Yowsa. It’s hot. It’s big sky. It’s music, cowboys, and oil. After a trek through south eastern New Mexico and north western Texas, I get the oil wells. Pumps everywhere. I believe we crossed into one of the largest oil basin in the world. Flat, oil drills, and horses.
First stop was San Antonio, a charming downtown with a river walk and the Alamo. We arrived early afternoon so our bus ride took us to the Japanese Tea Gardens. It was beautiful and very grateful for the air conditioned bus.
Riverwalk hosted a boat parade to celebrate their Texan independence. The Alamo was a refresher of American history with the true story behind it. Have a greater appreciation of an important event in our country.
Austin was spent partially in a sports bar watching the ravens beat the cardinals (many thanks to karen the non sports woman). We had a chance to hear some great blues that night and Austin won my heart. I would to go back and spend more time.
Dallas is as I remember it. Except hotter than hades. Did the Kennedy museum, water gardens, a museum, and cowtown. And some much needed downtime thanks to marvelous friends like Marji.
Another down day, laundry, and a movie,  we will head to Arkansas!  I have concluded I will never live in a state that begins with a vowel.
Mileage....a lot....

No comments: